One judge sticks with pledge,
another has a ritual of his own
Sac Bee excloo
MARYSVILLE 6/27/02 (YSN) - Yuba County Judge James Curry had people in his courtroom stand and say the pledge of allegiance to the flag at the start of proceedings Thursday -- and he plans to keep on doing it, federal court rulings notwithstanding.
"I've done it every day since Sept. 11. I did it today, I'll do it tomorrow and I'll continue doing it. This was just two appellate judges' opinion," Curry said.
Curry, who presides over the Superior Court, said he has not yet read the Ninth Circuit ruling that would bar saying the pledge at government events, because it includes the phrase "under God." He also declined to comment on the ruling itself.
Since Sept 11, some judges in some counties have taken to invoking the pledge at the start of the courts business day as a patriotic gesture, but which judges, how many of them and in which counties has been hard to pin down.
"We're aware that some judges are doing it, but it's just a ceremonial ritual. It's up to the judges. We have no way to know who does it, and we certainly can't tell them not to," said Constance Dove, executive director of the 2,600-member California Judges Association.
Curry and other judges who routinely pledge their allegiance at work may have to wait for a final decree from higher courts to find out if they can continue.
But Sacramento County Superior Court Judge Jeffrey L. Gunther -- the only Sacramento judge to regularly hold a patriotic display in his courtroom -- can breathe easily. He wrote his own pledge. and it's ruling-proof..
Seventeen years ago for his first day on the bench, Gunther devised a morning oration designed to honor both the American flag and the jurors' performing their patriotic civic duty. He has used it every court day since, Gunther said.
"I either wrote it, or put it together with other materials. I can't remember. That was almost 18 years ago," Gunther said.
Gunther's composition includes no religious references, so it is unlikely to become the focus of a federal ruling, Nonetheless, he was careful to say he wrote it to show patriotism and acknowledge service, not to reject any religion or religious belief.
"I was viewed as a strange duck when I started doing it. Over the years, though, I've had many judges ask to use it - and since Sept. 11 many more," Gunther said.
Curry got the idea of using the pledge of allegiance after appearing before a now-retired Glenn County judge who regularly asked lawyers in the morning courtroom to lead the recitation.
Since Curry instituted his own ritual, he has learned a thing or two about patriotism, he said.
"I was amazed how many lawyers didn't know the words," Curry said.
JUDGE GUNTHER’S VERSION
Each morning as Sacramento County Superior Court Judge Jeffreyn L. Gunther enters the courtroom for the first time a court attendant recites:
"Everyone please rise and face the flag.
"In the presence of the flag of the United States of America, which is the symbol of freedom and justice for all, Department 34 of the Superior Court of California, in and for the County of Sacramento, court is now in session, the Honorable Jeffrey L. Gunther, presiding.
"Please be seated and come to order."
another has a ritual of his own
Sac Bee excloo
MARYSVILLE 6/27/02 (YSN) - Yuba County Judge James Curry had people in his courtroom stand and say the pledge of allegiance to the flag at the start of proceedings Thursday -- and he plans to keep on doing it, federal court rulings notwithstanding.
"I've done it every day since Sept. 11. I did it today, I'll do it tomorrow and I'll continue doing it. This was just two appellate judges' opinion," Curry said.
Curry, who presides over the Superior Court, said he has not yet read the Ninth Circuit ruling that would bar saying the pledge at government events, because it includes the phrase "under God." He also declined to comment on the ruling itself.
Since Sept 11, some judges in some counties have taken to invoking the pledge at the start of the courts business day as a patriotic gesture, but which judges, how many of them and in which counties has been hard to pin down.
"We're aware that some judges are doing it, but it's just a ceremonial ritual. It's up to the judges. We have no way to know who does it, and we certainly can't tell them not to," said Constance Dove, executive director of the 2,600-member California Judges Association.
Curry and other judges who routinely pledge their allegiance at work may have to wait for a final decree from higher courts to find out if they can continue.
But Sacramento County Superior Court Judge Jeffrey L. Gunther -- the only Sacramento judge to regularly hold a patriotic display in his courtroom -- can breathe easily. He wrote his own pledge. and it's ruling-proof..
Seventeen years ago for his first day on the bench, Gunther devised a morning oration designed to honor both the American flag and the jurors' performing their patriotic civic duty. He has used it every court day since, Gunther said.
"I either wrote it, or put it together with other materials. I can't remember. That was almost 18 years ago," Gunther said.
Gunther's composition includes no religious references, so it is unlikely to become the focus of a federal ruling, Nonetheless, he was careful to say he wrote it to show patriotism and acknowledge service, not to reject any religion or religious belief.
"I was viewed as a strange duck when I started doing it. Over the years, though, I've had many judges ask to use it - and since Sept. 11 many more," Gunther said.
Curry got the idea of using the pledge of allegiance after appearing before a now-retired Glenn County judge who regularly asked lawyers in the morning courtroom to lead the recitation.
Since Curry instituted his own ritual, he has learned a thing or two about patriotism, he said.
"I was amazed how many lawyers didn't know the words," Curry said.
JUDGE GUNTHER’S VERSION
Each morning as Sacramento County Superior Court Judge Jeffreyn L. Gunther enters the courtroom for the first time a court attendant recites:
"Everyone please rise and face the flag.
"In the presence of the flag of the United States of America, which is the symbol of freedom and justice for all, Department 34 of the Superior Court of California, in and for the County of Sacramento, court is now in session, the Honorable Jeffrey L. Gunther, presiding.
"Please be seated and come to order."

<< Home