5/4/02

Extra effort for 'Coldwater'
as 1,000 try out for movie

Exclusive to the Sacramento Bee

GRASS VALLEY 5/4/02 (YSN) -- Some 1,000 Hollywood hopefuls endured hours of waiting for hours Saturday for a chance to hold a number under their chins and tell film director Sean Michael why they wanted to be in the movie he plans to shoot here next month.

"My name is Emily Adams. I'm 11 years old and I'm a contortionist," one Marysville girl said to distinguish her talents from those possessed by the scores of other children in the dragon's tail line outside the Holbrooke Hotel on East Main Street.

Michael, who grew up in Nevada County, said he plans to shoot about two-thirds of his first-ever feature-length film at his family's ranch, in downtown Grass Valley and in some private residences in nearby Nevada City.

Michael described "Coldwater" as a "dark, coming of age film" about a troubled teenager sentenced to a tough boot camp where he passes through the crucible of growing up.

Teen throb David Gallagher from Warner Brothers Network's "Seventh Heaven" has been signed as the lead actor, according to Michael.

Competition for the estimated 100 "extra" parts and 10 speaking available was keen, with people of all ages flocking to the open casting call from as far away as Sacramento.

Some, like 71-year-old Sacramentan Bill MacSems, were celluloid veterans. A former MGM propmaker, MacSems had recently appeared as an extra in the made-for-TV movie. "Path to War."

And Antelope resident Kathleen Coggins, 44, of Antelope, had just completed filming a small role in a cable TV remake of "Gentle Ben." "I even got a scene with the bear," she said.

For others, like Andre Wilson, 15, of Marysville, it was their very first casting call. "I'll take any part I can get," he admitted.

Filming of "Coldwater" is expected to start in the second week of June and run through the latter part of July.

Powered by Blogger