2/4/03

Letters/Op-Ed
Exercised by excorism

Dear Sir:

I've long been concerned about the provocative influence of the Church of
Glad Tidings
in our community, reported through the years by the Appeal.

I remember their "church" campaign to close down a store at the Yuba City
Mall, alleging sales of satanic paraphernalia. I took note of their
door-to-door leafleting and "Letters to the Editor" political campaign in
support of fellow church member, Dr. [Joseph] Cassidy, who chose to make public his
office politics within the Health Department [Cassady v. Yuba County, Noda, et al; USDC California; Eastern], pending.

Lately, I read continually about Lou Binninger's T.I.P. training, or that
Binninger is against the sinfulness of a casino, or "Lou Binninger, as
Church of Glad Tidings spokesman, said." Ad nauseum. I was outraged last
year that the Appeal quoted Binninger for the "religious" commentary re the
Pledge of Allegiance controversy. Of all the pastors of mainstream
religions in our community, to contact Lou Binninger as the sole religious
spokesman, I was left to presume the Appeal was staffed with Glad Tidings
members.

I read in the Appeal that Lou Binninger had shared his personal
correspondence from Congressman Wally Herger. How can Binninger put any
"faith" in the opinion of a Mormon Congressman? I'm fortunate to have close
friends who are Mormons, Jews, Buddhists, Sikhs, Hindus and Masons; I have
wonderful Islamic neighbors; I'm a Catholic and yoga enthusiast. Assuredly,
the Church of Glad Tidings would consider me a prime candidate for their
"exorcism from demonic influences". I'm appalled at the now-reported depths
of their depraved bigotry. I shudder while passing their billboards stating
they want to raise your children.

Lou Binninger's business is renting billboard space. Currently, he
"personally manages" a State-funded teen pregnancy program that buys
billboard space. Aside from separation of church & state, isn't that a legal
conflict of interest? Supervisor Don Schrader won't "get involved in their
religious beliefs". Then, Schrader should stop "involving" public funds with
these religious fanatics, and read our Constitution he swore to uphold.

Without exorcism, Glad Tidings has scared the hell out of me. I'll pray we
get their hands off our tax dollars, and away from influencing our children!

Francie Lane
Yuba City

Powered by Blogger